Sunday, 14 April 2019

Fishing - Part 2

Following on from yesterday I should have mentioned all the ‘Roo Poo’ covering the allocated camp site.  This should have set off warning bells, but instead I retrieved the long handled shovel from the trailer mounting bracket and cleared the site.

That evening half a dozen kangaroos arrived to find us on their dinner table.  I doubt they were pleased but settled for eating around us.  The following day they decided to graze beside the camp site kitchen block.

The dominant male (the big fella) kept an eye on me.  Perhaps he thought I was after one of his five wives.  You can see the size of the claws on his front legs that he wasn't to be trifled with.  Eventually he decided I wasn't a threat opting to pick at the fleas on his chest before deciding to scratch is <censored> fundamentals!

If you want to see what can happen when you arrive unannounced then you can look at the YouTube clip in the following link <here>

After breakfast (I cooked myself bacon and egg jaffles) we headed to the nearby 'Salmon Beach' in the 4x4's.  The road is sealed which meant reaching the beach was quite easy.  On the way we stopped at the lookout to get an idea of the beach layout.  More importantly, we were looking for gullies, gutters and rips along the foreshore.  Also signs of schools of salmon.  No one on the beach,  all the fish are ours!

The car park has a covered picnic table and long drop toilets.

Down on the beach we prepared to fish.  Ken put out his burley pot containing a large piece of frozen tuna.  It would gradually defrost and disintegrate in the waves attracting small fish to our area. 

After 30 minutes of continual casting I remembered the only fish I catch are those that commit suicide by throwing themselves onto my hook.  Ken caught a large salmon whilst Donny was pulling in herrings.  In desperation I eventually managed to foul hook a herring.  In disgust at my poor efforts I wandered further down the beach looking for stupid fish.  Then Graham (the non fisher) caught a second large salmon.

Photo courtesy of blog reader Ken

That's me in the distance :-(    I started to resign myself to the fact that all I was going to catch was a cold!  Actually I caught too much sun and ended the day with bright red feet. 

We packed up around 2pm and returned to the camp site where I abandoned thoughts of fresh fish for dinner and instead settled for sausages, potatoes and mixed veg washed down with an ice cream.  Hey, the camper trailer has both a fridge and freezer so why not!  I must have drunk too much during the day as I had to get up four times during the night to water the nearby fence post.  That was a smart move on my part because Donny elected to water the grass in front of Ken's 4x4 (twice).  It was only when we were packing up on the last day that Ken mentioned his 4x4 has a dashcam with a motion detector which automatically starts recording.  Hopefully Elaine (Ken's wife) doesn't get too much of a surprise! 

Marilyn it was certainly a monster of an outback caravan with all the essentials of a life on the road for a retired couple.  I would think there wouldn't be much change from $130,000. 

Ade, Bailey exported a number of caravans to Australia but then their local distributor went bust!


Ade said...

Ah Tom nearly said it was a Bailey! I know nothing about caravan’s but they are made in Bristol near me. Well currently are not sure that’s where they have always been made.

Tom and Jan said...

Ade you would have been wrong if you'd identified it as a Bailey. It's German. A GEIST.

Ade said...

Ah see I said I knew nowt about caravans!
How’s sleeping in the tent panning out?

Tom and Jan said...

It's more of an enclosed stretcher with a self inflating mattress. I get a good nights sleep because I'm able to locate it away from the snorers :-)