Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Exciting Day

The boring part was taking the empty gas cylinder to Jewsons in Retford for a replacement.  Jewsons is very close to the canal (the fence borders the towpath)and the price of a replacement cylinder was value for money at £22.30.


Right arrow is Jewsons and left arrow our mooring outside Asda.

Whilst returning from Jewsons with the sack trolley and cylinder I happened to notice the sign on the gable of the Rum Runner pubBack in 1901 it was known as the Ship Inn.


We decided to wait out the showers, electing to move after lunch. Daniel set Retford Town Lock and I motored Waiouru in.  Well actually I motored half into the lock and then came to a halt.  No matter what I did she wasn’t going into the lock.  I managed to reverse out using the engine and then started fishing around with the boat hook.  Four Asda shopping trolleys and one bicycle later we could get into the lock.


The staff from Asda turned up promptly and started removing their trolleys.  One of the locals mentioned its not the first time the yobs have pushed a string of trolleys into the canal.  My concern was them having pushed a second string into the lock for us to catch on.  Fortunately they aren’t that smart.

20160610_135603 Looking back at the lock in the distance with the local boat club to the left

Last time we were in Retford Jan noticed the diesel slick around Waiouru.  It wasn’t from us!   Today we noticed the boat that had been moored ahead of us.  It hadn’t moved off the mooring outside Aldi.


Now we know the source of the diesel.  Someone has placed a boom and absorbent mats to clean up the mess.  There’s also some type of notice (white paper) wedged between the stern cabin doors!

Town Lock was the last of the narrow locks and the weight of the wide gates at Whitsunday Pie Lock came as an unwanted surprise.  Never mind there are only five.  The remainder of the afternoon was spent slowly cruising back down the canal to the moorings at Drakeholes Tunnel.  There was an interesting looking home at Field Farm.


Not a very good photo as I was busy steering.  We passed through Clayworth when I noticed a field of red flowers.  Daniel and Jan are of the belief they are poppies whilst I’m playing it safe stating they are red flowers.


Everything was going well until we reached Wiseton Middle Bridge (No71) where we found a boat moored under the bridge. The lady at the stern frantically waved for us to stop.    When we got closer she informed us a tree had fallen across the canal around the corner.  They had reversed back upon reaching it.


The bridge hole is the only spot where the boats can reach the bank.  I retrieved our Aldi bow saw from deep storage and headed down the towpath to see if I could remove the obstruction.  The lady had already notified CRT who were sending someone.

Upon reaching the fallen tree I realised removing it was going to be more difficult than I anticipated.  It had fallen from the far bank and three major branches were completely across the canal.  The location of the tree is marked on the map below.


My alternative plan was to cross the canal via bridge 71 and walk beside the canal until I reached the fallen tree.  That didn’t work as a high brick wall extends several hundred metres from an estate down to the edge of the canal.  After backtracking I walked to Bridge 72 where I discovered a second brick wall cut me off from the tree.  It appears the tree will have to be removed using a boat.  It will be interesting to see if the CRT contractors arrive tomorrow.  Meanwhile, we are moored in the bridge hole.

No comments :