Friday, 22 March 2013

Header Tank

The Australian distributor of automatic battery watering systems responded to my initial query by providing me with a detailed list of required components and their prices.  I noted the cost of the system header tank was approximately A$100 <ouch!> and then realised it had a capacity of 20 litres.  Two things immediately sprang to mind.  The first was the cost and the second, the size of the container!  There is nowhere in the semi-trad area where we can locate a 20 litre container.  Then I realised the 20 litre container was probably designed for a static installation where it would supply a large number of unattended batteries over an extended period.  I therefore excluded it from our list opting instead to make my own.  On reflection I should also have excluded the plastic tubing.  It has proven to be very expensive having both purchased it and paid for postage all the way to the UK.  If I ever did this again I’d probably only purchase the battery caps and save ourselves more money.

The 1 litre cider container was left overnight filled with a water and dish washing solution in a successful effort to remove the smell of cider.  Today a 10mm hole was drilled in the side immediately above the base and then widened with a round file.  I made the decision to locate the hole in the side rather than the base because I’ll probably need to sit the container on something inside the locker.

The tube into the container is a very snug fit, however I wanted to ensure it was both sealed and secure so construction adhesive has been applied to the joint.  It was the first time I’d used the new caulking gun since purchasing it in the 99p shop.  Damned thing promptly bent in my hands when I squeezed the handle!  Sometimes it doesn’t pay to by cheap. Sad smile  In the end I had to resort to using my fat index finger to smear the adhesive.  No….. I didn’t accidentally put my finger in my ear afterwards! Hopefully it will have set by tomorrow morning and I’ll then be able to do a first “test fill”.

Now everything I took out of the bow thruster locker this morning has to go back in.  This is because the tube of construction adhesive is kept in the bottom <sigh>.  Oh…… And before someone decides to leave a snide knowledgable comment.  I have drilled a small hole in the cap of the new header tank to minimize the possibility of an air lock occurring!

Meanwhile Jan has standing been out in the cold on the towpath phoning the bank back in Australia (no Vodafone signal inside Waiouru).  She discovered the bank has an advanced version of the UK Border Agency (UKBA) telephone answering system.  After about 7 seconds Jan realised she was conversing with a Dalek (robot).  Apparently the robot was very polite and at one point asked “May I call you Jan?”  The robot might have been polite but it couldn’t answer Jan’s query.  Another A$40 donated to Vodafone!

The former paint pot has now received two coats of primer and a further two coats of bilge paint.  When it’s dry the pot can go back on the roof over the stove flue hole.  Next job……. After emptying much of the bow thruster locker I noticed there was water in the base.  Everything will have to again come out on a fine day so all the water can be removed.  Jan has also pointed out water sometimes squirts out the water tank breather valve which is mounted high on the front bulkhead wall in the cratch.  I think I know why this is happening and unfortunately there no “easy fix”.  Another summer job!

No comments :