Saturday, 23 March 2013

A busy day

We had a very long day.  It started in the morning with a visit to the blacksmith to advise him we have decided not to proceed with the manufacturing of the folding step for the cratch.  The quoted cost was well outside our budget and we’ve decided to reconsider the matter. 

The construction adhesive had set and the tube into the header tank for the battery watering system seemed to be very secure.  So the tank was filled for the first time and there were no leaks.  That was the good news.  The bad news is the water stopped at the Flow Meter.  For some reason yet to be determined the Flow Meter is preventing the flow of water. Time was running out and the problem has now been left until tomorrow when there will be time for an more detailed examination of the problem.

Jan had baked another of her delicious bread loaves half of which we managed to devour for lunch.  there’s something about the smell of freshly baked bread that makes your mouth water!  After lunch she went to check if any post had arrived whilst I decided to go for a long walk.  Not the most sensible of decisions as the heavens opened 40 minutes after leaving Waiouru.  I almost wimped out and turned back, but in the end decided to be stupid courageous and carry on.  As I climbed to higher ground the temperature dropped and the wind picked up.  The lightweight trousers were soaking wet and the wind was going straight though the shower jacket.  By coincidence part of the planned route was through a wood in Upper Bucklebury.  This significantly reduced the wind chill factor and allowed the trousers to dry.  I managed to record four more footpaths on the gps and they were all uploaded to the OSM on my return to the boat.  Only a 4½ hour walk but the rain and the cold made it feel longer.

The return was via the towpath from Thatcham to Aldermaston Wharf.  Although we haven’t had much rain the low lying ground is back to being flooded and the River Kennet is starting to rise again.  Time for a hot shower and something warm to eat.


Halfie said...

Is the flow meter one-way (the wrong way round)?

Tom and Jan said...

The inlet pipe is larger than the two outlets and there is an arrow on it pointing in the direction of flow. so It's connected correctly. I tried blowing hard through it and nearly popped the valve in the seat of my trousers! More investigating required!