Monday, 29 October 2012

Fore and Aft

We woke early late (daylight saving) and I then multi-tasked by eating porridge whilst speaking to dear old mum back in Australia.  After that it was time to don the walking gear for a round trip to Calcot (Sainsbury’s) for some essential supplies (approx 10 miles).  Somehow I never seem to be able to confine my physical shopping to Jan’s list and consequentially the day pack (rucksack) felt rather heavy on the way back to Waiouru.  That Greek fellow (arthritis) is also giving me a little grief.  Might be something to do with the weather.  However I did enjoy the walk along the towpath admiring all the brown and gold autumn colours and the path strewn with leaves.  Many of the moored boats had their solid fuel stoves going as one could see smoke drifting from chimneys.
Back at the boat it was time for a quick shower.  This served three purposes.
  1. Get clean
  2. Warm me up
  3. Empty Waiouru’s water tank
Jan had already baked a loaf of bread in the slow cooker.  Nothing like a tomato sandwich made with fresh bread!
We have been working towards a situation where the blackwater (toilet) tank would be almost full and the potable (fresh) water tank empty.  This would enable us to check the fore and aft (front and rear) trim of the boat.  I’d previously measured Waiouru’s hull in the paint tent.  This enabled me to calculate Waiouru’s draft (the amount of the hull submerged in the canal.  With the blackwater tank at the stern full and the water tank in the bow empty the stern was well down.
The button (stern fender) is just touching the water which is also 2 inches into the red tunnel band.  I measured the draft at the stern an Waiouru is drawing 35 inches.  This appears too much!  Meanwhile at the other end……..
Another couple of inches and the bow will be out of the water.  The situation improved after emptying the blackwater tank and filling the water tank.  But Waiouru is still drawing too much water at the stern.  Prior to the floor being laid Andy had the last three bays in the boat ballasted with three concrete slabs in each bay.  I think we will need to cut access holes in the galley floor and removed at least 6 concrete slabs.  Somehow I don’t think extra cutting is going to please Richard and James.  But it will probably be me who breaks up and removes the slabs! Sad smile


Geoff and Mags said...

Hi Tom
35 inches will seriously reduce your mooring opportunities! And she'll settle another couple of inches deeper when under power, so you'll be picking up all manner of stuff in bridge holes...
We draw 30 inches and struggle sometimes. That's the deepest you want to be if you can achieve it.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Geoff,
I've worked out 35 inches is too much. Today's post will show the galley floor lifted and me breaking concrete :-(