Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Starting the Trim

Richard isn’t going to hang the internal doors at this stage in the build.  Instead we made a start on cutting and fitting the trim.  The sequence is to first fit the ceiling trim on the starboard side.  Then the port side trim is fitted and the trim line on the ceiling is marked with a pencil line.  The port trim is then removed and the crossover trim is fitted.  Each piece can be exactly cut to length by butting the end of the timber against the starboard trim and then marking it to length using the pencil mark on the ceiling which was earlier drawn against the port side trim.  Once all the crossover trim has been fitted the port side trim is screwed back in place for the last time.

However the first task was to cut the bevelled edge on the length of oak trim.  The bevel matches the angle of the tumblehome.  The technique used by Richard and James is to fit a jig to the large saw in the workshop.  The jig has three clamps which are used to secure the timber whilst it is run through the blade.

Clamping the timber to the saw table and then running the table past the blade gives a much more accurate edge to the timber.

We took the first piece of trim to Waiouru and confirmed it was the correct length.  Richard then marked on the trim the location of the various lengths of crossover trim which will butt to it at a right angle.  The trim was then taken back to the workshop where the screw holes were drilled and a brass “cup” fitted into each hole.  He then routered the opposite edge of the trim except for the parts where the crossover trim butt against it.  The back and concealed edge of the timber was treated with wood ‘impreg’ to waterproof it against any potential condensation.  Finally, we took the trim back to Waiouru and installed it.  His method is to use timber prop’s to hold the trim in place whilst he firmly taps it into place.  It’s them fixed to the ceiling using temporary screws.  Once all the trim has been installed these will eventually be replace with slot head brass screws .  Whilst he was routering and sanding the trim I stripped the protective plastic film off the laminated ceiling panels.

The trim is a very snug fit against both the ceiling and the wall.  Both Jan and I commented how the saloon actually appears to look bigger now all the wiring is concealed behind the trim.  The bedroom trim (starboard side) has already been made and will be fitted tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile Darren has been busy painting.  The majority of the roof has been finished with just the houdini hatch surrounds left to be painted.

The ripple effect is actually the reflection of the air shelter tubes above

Waiouru has started to join the “shiny boat brigade”!  He then applied the first coat of gloss for the coachlines.

And then painted the first undercoat on the gunwales.

Tomorrows painting plan is for Darren, Jan and me to sand down Waiouru (except the roof).  Jan and I will then sweep and tac clean the sanded surfaces whilst Darren masks the areas on the roof that will have the the ‘grit’ (non-slip) panels.  He will then apply the final coat of gloss to the coachlines and the second undercoat to the gunwale before applying the first undercoat (red) onto the recessed panels at the stern.

After cleaning down the exterior of Waiouru I will hinder help Richard with the trim, whilst Jan is going to do some knitting whilst heads roll.

No comments :