Thursday, 30 August 2012

I’m Alive…. I’M ALIVE!!!!

But the battery charger died!  However my pension fund has resurrected me and reinstated payments!  We can stop eating feathers and go back to chicken!  Of course Jan still doesn’t exist! 

The shower pump was making funny noises last night and first thing this morning I noticed the lights in the saloon seemed dimmer.  After opening the rear cabin doors it was possible to see the neon light on the temporary charger was illuminated so it had a 240v supply.  However when I placed my multi-meter across the domestic battery bank the reading was 9.6v.  NOT GOOD NEWS!  I then disconnected the charger from the battery bank and measured the charger DC output on the cables…. Zero!  The charger was dead and our battery bank wasn’t in good shape either.  We had been draining power out of it for at least two days.  The Smartgauge hadn’t arrived at the boatyard and I’d also failed to test the battery voltage with the multi-meter.

The first task was to fit another temporary battery charger.  The replacement has a rating of 45A compared with the original which had a maximum rating of 15A.  The Smartgauge also arrived today so Nick wired the engine bay end whilst I wired in the actual gauge.

It’s only a temporary setup whilst we wait for the remaining gauges to be installed.  I hate wiring ‘birds nests’ and at some future date will have to sort out the mess in the electrical cabinet.

The Smartgauge showed the new charger was doing it’s job with the voltage risking from 9.6v to 11v and then 12.6v before reading 13.5v when the photo was taken.

The other major task completed today the final fit for most of the ceiling trim.  Yesterday the starboard and port trim was fitted and then the port trim was taken down.  Today Richard measured the crossover trim that covers the joins between the laminated ceiling panels. Each piece was roughly cut to length and then taken to Waiouru where it was positioned with timber props.  The precise length of each piece of trim was then measured against the pencil line drawn against the port side trim (earlier removed).  The crossover trim was then taken back to the workshop where it was cut to length, drilled and routered.  We then refitted the trim using the same props.

Notice the port trim is missing in the above photo.

Once all the crossover length of trim had been fitted the port trim was reinstalled.

Someone (I think I know who!) has to now go around and glue small oak plugs into all these rebated screw holes.  Richard informed me he will be continuing with the remaining ceiling trim tomorrow.  This trim is only 40mm wide and will be fitted around all the joins where the tops of the cabinets and partitions meet the ceiling.  Darren returns tomorrow and will continue with the painting.

No comments :