A couple of days ago I wrote about the frost on the roof of Waiouru and how it had remained longer than the adjacent boats. I optimistically thought this might be due to Waiouru’s improved insulation. Today, Bill stopped for a brief conversation and explained why the frost had taken longer to melt. Amongst his many other talents; Bill paints boats. He explained the frost will linger longer on new paint due to the viscosity of the painted surface. Essentially; dew clings more easily to new paint, hence the frost!
Drat; nothing like having your optimism crushed!
Now for the latest project. Using a jigsaw I’ve cut four 700mm x 50mm lengths of 5mm steel strips from the old cratch deck which Dennis removed from Waiouru last December. These have now been drilled with 22mm holes and primed.
Have you worked out how they will be used?
This next photo may assist.
Yes, there is now a mooring pin in the photo.
Well if you haven’t worked it out, I will explain. We’ve noticed from previous canal holidays, there are locations on the network where the banks are very soft and mooring pins can easily get pulled out through the effect of passing boats.
I decided to make some ground anchors. The end hole will take a shackle for the mooring rope and the other holes enable multiple mooring pins to be used. The holes in the ground anchors are larger than the diameter of the pins. This enables the pins to be driven into the ground on an angle. Alternate pins in the opposite direction. The end result is a more secure mooring point. The anchors can also be used in combination as in the following photo.
A strip on the right and a ‘V’ on the left. Other options include a triangle or a ‘Y’.
This is still only a theory and it will be interesting to see if it actually works in practice.