Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ballast Fitted

This morning there was a brief discussion regarding the best method of moving the concrete paving slabs into Waiouru.  In the end Richard decided to use the forklift and side hatch.

However before he and James could commence we discovered some of the timber battens would have to be removed as they were obstructing the slabs.

The slabs were too wide to fit through the hatch horizontally which meant Richard and James had to lift them vertically.

They are too heavy for me to attempt to do any lifting and carrying.  However Richard and James made short work of the task.

The last three bays at the back of the boat needed three slabs each to ensure there is sufficient weight at the stern,  Every other bay only has one slab down the starboard (right) side for trim.

Once all the slabs were fitted on top of the roof felt I was left to refit the timber battens and complete the installation of the Kingspan.

The last task for the day was to vacuum the entire floor ready for the installation of the marine ply flooring.  Richard and James will mark out and cut the sheets but I know who will be installing the 600+ screws. Sad smile

6 comments:

Gareth said...

It looks brilliant.

I hope you have a power screwdriver with a spare battery.

Pip - nb Windsong said...

Congratulations - Waiouru is at last coming together, looking like a real boat being fitted out, and not just a hacked about mess. You are doing a grand job!
Pip & Roger

Tom and Jan said...

I have Jan!

Geoff and Mags said...

Looks cosy!
A chap I used to work with reckoned that the spiral on a wood screw was for getting them OUT. A hammer's used for putting them in...
He was a bit of a pillock, though.
Geoff

Tom and Jan said...

I don't know if I can trust Jan with a hammer! :-)

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Pip & Roger,
I think we are starting to get some traction with this project!