After seven weeks the Eberspacher is now working. We’ve been fortunate with the weather, otherwise we may have been a frozen antipodal couple. Originally it was a defective part; but despite the replacement of the component the Eberspacher refused to heat the radiators.
Today Nick (engineer) brought down the laptop and diagnostics software to plug into the heater. However, before he got to that point he asked me whether the Eberspacher would actually start. I confirmed it would… but it wouldn’t heat the system! Nick immediately thought an airlock might be the problem as he could hear the pump running dry (my hearing these days is too poor). Nick knew where the header tank was located and found it dry. After adding three jugs of water and bleeding the system the Eberspacher is once again running correctly.
I then took the opportunity to quiz Nick on the use of the Eberspacher. He informed me it must only be run for 1-2 hours continuously and then rested. His advice was to use it to warm the boat at the beginning of the day whilst the multi-fuel stove was starting up. Apparently running the Eberspacher for any longer than 1-2 hours will result in it coking up and failing. This surprised me, as I had assumed the longer and harder it ran, the less likely the unit to carbon up. I suspect all of this is academic as we intend having a Hurricane heater fitted to Waiouru. Having worked with the Canadians and seen some of their kit I wouldn’t be surprised if the Hurricane will run on water 24/7.