Sunday, 27 November 2011

Poor Application of Spray Foam

There was more light inside Waiouru after I removed the temporary covers on the inside of the Houdini hatches which had been screwed to the ceiling battens (I now have removable temporary covers on the roof).
After examining the application of the spray foam insulation I could see there are some problem areas.  My guess is that the standard of application gradually deteriorated as the work progressed from the bow to the stern.  There were numerous “blisters” in the ceiling foam towards the rear of the boat.  They were easily pulled off revealing rusty bare metal.  Obviously the foam didn’t correctly adhere to the steel and the layer of foam was very thin.
One can only wonder what the boat might have been like after a couple of years had Ben Harp completed the boat.
I’ve also noticed some of the spray application is very thin (almost non-existent) at floor level.  Despite this; down the port (left) side of the boat, all the drain holes in the floor joists have been filled with spray foam.  This means any water in the bilge would “pond” rather than trickle to the bilge pump in the engine compartment.  I’ve now cleared all the drain holes.
Finally, I had specified the there must be a thermal seal between the Kingspan underfloor insulated panels and the spray foam on the walls.  Of course it hadn’t been done!  We would have ended up with a cold line at floor level.
So it appears there is quite a bit of work to do rectifying the insulation.

1 comment :

Geoff and Mags said...

We had the same problem on the roof joists. it looked like the sprayer had worked from one end, not checking that he'd covered the reverse side of the beams. Consequently several were bare steel. Come winter condensation formed on the metal which ran down to the cabins sides and dribbled down the panelling. Quite a big job to put right after fitout, so don't miss any gaps while you can see what you're doing!